View Single Post
Old 1 November 2014, 07:02 PM   #32
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Looked at two of these watches in the flesh today. Not so sure that they totally impress. SS black dial and the Titanium blue dial. The case is thick and they sit high off the wrist and the sapphire crystal back reveals a movement that is not really beautiful to look at. The dials look better in photos than in real life where I felt they were somewhat flat. Omega uses an inferior grade of steel to Rolex so given that SS model is the same price as the no date Sub but without the real pedigree to justify it and it is double the price of the Tudor Black Bay (which uses a similar grade steel to the Omega), I'm not so sure that this is a winner for value. Still it is a lovely watch but I was just left a little cold and not hankering to own one.
Here's my experience with this watch:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=364210

I also saw these in person and pretty much completely disagree with everything you said. I don't think the case is thick, it was comparable to my Sub which I had on and certainly thinner than the PO 8500. I didn't feel it stuck out above my wrist, it sat the same as my Sub which I wore that day, unless your measure of sit high is comparable to wearing a Nautilus, then yeah it probably sits high. This watch is 41mm however so it does have a larger presence. Is this an issue, well there's at least 2-3 threads a week asking when Rolex for example will make a 42mm Sub so I wonder if the size is really the issue. The dial looks wonderful, it is flat in colour which is exactly what everybody wanted it to be, nobody wants this to be a glossy dial. Go find me one person that wants their SDc dial to be glossy...

The argument regarding steel is absurd. Rolex uses 904L which I do love, but lets be real here and identify the advantages in the real world, corrosion and whiter colour. I doubt highly that 90% of the population that buy a Rolex, AP, PP, Omega etc are going to use their watch day in day out in a maritime environment where the corrosion resistance will become a factor and as far as colour and shine goes...that is a detail obsessed over by the very tiny WIS population, as the general population can't even identify the difference in shade of steel between the 116610 and 116619 and the same between a platinum watch like a PP 5711 and 5711P which is Platinum. Also lets not forget that one small detail, 904L is softer which leads more people to complain about their watches scratching so easily. This all really academic, steel isn't the measure of the watch, unless you're a WIS and even then....the PP 5711 or AP 15300/400 have no issue selling and reselling, all which use that inferior 316 ss.

The argument of 904L vs 316 is only relevant if you're someone like a Comex employee who uses his watch as a tool in his trade, for the rest of the world it is a marketing strategy, which is clearly a successful one it seems.

Whether this watch is better and or worth more than an 114060 no date Sub is up to the informed individual to decide and for a Rolex fan to state that the movement on the Omega isn't attractive is laughable to say the least. For me as a watch, it is a better watch with a better movement and the Tudor BB is not even in this watch's league. But the Rolex Sub has one thing clearly superior, brand power and for the watch flipper there's resale value.
The name Rolex has more weight to the average person walking down the street using his phone as a watch but that doesn't translate into better unless we're referring to marketing. This is my opinion which however comparing the stats of each watch has some merit and common sense.

Now the fact that you have the opinion that black and white Rolex is the best watch house on the planet means that nothing can convince you otherwise so no amount of logic will sway you which begs to question why even spend time in the
"inferior" watch sub forums....is it just to debate....

Will I buy this watch over an 114060, hell yes...but I decide by putting each watch on a scale and my assessment says the Omega is a better watch based on my research and needs.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote