View Single Post
Old 13 December 2014, 10:08 PM   #15
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
hmmm, honestly from reading through all the gibberish, this sounds wishy washy. sounds like they're just testing their own watches.
yeah, just like those wishy washy brands like Patek/AP/JLC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee26 View Post
Agreed......definitely a positive. BUT seems more like a marketing ploy than improved quality control IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Despite this certification being open to everybody, the truth is that it is totally geared toward Omega. Making a watch to be antimagnetic to over 15,000 gauss is not the industry standard, nor will it be for many years (if ever).

What I am more interested in is how the accuracy will be tested (movement alone and within the watch). This is definitely more impressive than the COSC certification. I think COSC was a good idea back in the day, but watches are now made with such precision that even a cheap Chinese movement can pass the COSC certification. It is about time things got more serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuts33 View Post
I listened to the interviews with Hayek and Urquhart from after the announcement. They indicated METAS will certify whatever standards a particular company sets.

So if Tissot has a line that it claims runs -2 / + 5 and is 300m water resistant, METAS will certify the watch meets those claims.

They are simply being used as a checks and balances that the watch does whatever company X says it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
This makes no sense. Must be misunderstood. That would be lowering the standard then. A METAS cert would only mean that what....they agree with the manufacturer?!! How is that a better standard then.

That certification is baloney if thats the case. It's like saying this "new" Harvard School of Law is the new standard and will now graduate every student based on each student deciding whether they themselves are ready to practice law, we will just assess them on their individual criteria that they provide us.

There has to be a minimum standard which of course should be high, or else it doesn't mean anything. A Navy SeAL is who he is because he met the standard set by those responsible for his training and development. Not because he said what he could do and someone evaluated that.

This is just a:
- cost cutting step
- further increase Omega's control in the industry
- marketing move
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSteel View Post
Oh Omeeega, Omeeega........another gimmicky ploy I smells

I don't think that you guys really understand this...
it is NOT Omega testing Omega Watches....METAS is a Government agency, not a division of OMEGA.

the Testing procedure seems more rigorous, and will involve testing the whole watch, rather than just the movement.

What I am not clear about is what a METAS standard would be...
certainly the antimagnetism can not be a standard requirement of METAS certification, otherwise few watch brands would acquire METAS certification...even most Omegas right now..

I think that there would be a minimum standard of timekeeping precision, and then further testing on each superlative from there (waterproofing of the finished watch/anti-magnetism/enhanced sensation of self-worth inducing, etc etc)

I think that Omega is throwing the gauntlet down...is anyone else up for letting this independent federal institution test their watches?

like was mentioned, COSC doesn't mean that much anymore...

I think that with METAS testing the entire finished product, you get a better sense of durability as well...

It could be a marketing ploy, or it could be just another sign/message that OMEGA has evolved further, and now has 'Out-grown' COSC...