View Single Post
Old 20 January 2015, 02:47 PM   #119
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiSeagalMMA View Post
My girlfriend and I would really love to enjoy wine but have not had luck so far. We typically eat a lot of red meat in and out of the house but have yet to find a wine that we can take more than a sip of along with it. We've been offered Merlot at a few steakhouses here in the Tampa area but always feel like it is too bitter.

Would anyone be kind enough to make a recommendation for a first time wine drinker?
Its all about personal tastes. I respectfully disagree about Merlot being a blending grape. There are some fantastic Merlot with a lot of depth and character without blending. California Merlot tend to have a higher alcohol content which may taste bitter to some. But no other grape can produce those velvety tannins that a Merlot is capable of. When you find one of those, like a Pride Mountain or Pahlmeyer, it will change your life. On the lower end of the price range, try Neyers Merlot. It has similar characteristics as those two

I agree that you should find a good wine merchant who can make suggestions based on your tastes. Make sure you share what you like and dont like. Unfortunately, you will go through several glasses/bottles trying to find out what suits your palette. As your taste for wine develops, so will your preferences. What tasted great to you when you first started drinking wine might not appeal to you later.

Most of all, enjoy experimenting and learning.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote