View Single Post
Old 25 March 2015, 08:52 PM   #147
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Disagree. Omega is doing it's own thing.

Omega is focusing on anti-magnetic movements and it's own certification process. Rolex is not.

Omega is focusing on ceramics. Rolex is not.

Omega is coming out with vintage-inspired models. Rolex is not.

Whether you think any of these things are positive or not, I don't think you can say that Omega is trying to be Rolex. Trying to compete with Rolex? Yes. Trying to be Rolex? Hell no!

James Bond was famous for wearing a Rolex. Now omega sponsors James Bond, right down to the Dr No nato strap they just introduced.

Omega is trying to be Rolex in the way that Hublot is trying to be AP. They are trying to to be Rolex in the way that Tudor is trying to be Omega. They are trying to position themselves to compete in the same market at the same price points.

Rolex is doing work in anti-magnetism. It's not their end-all because they already have reliable, in-house movements. Rolex is about evolution, not revolution.

Rolex is not focusing on ceramics? Really? I guess coco Chanel is the big innovator in that space.

I think you could say nearly every Rolex model is vintage inspired. How about the Orange hand Explorer II or the no date sub?

Omega is reacting to everything that Rolex does, and Rolex barely acknowledges that Omega exists. That's just how it is.

I have 2 omegas and 1 Rolex, so that's not just some hater opinion.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote