Thread: GMT 1675 Dials
View Single Post
Old 11 June 2015, 07:47 AM   #70
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
In reviewing this thread for someone today, I noticed that a few white-lettered GMT 1675 dials were missing and wanted to update these dials. My original intent was to have these dials in chronological order but it didn't work out that way and I apologize. One of these days I will try and get everything in chronological order. With the inclusion of the three dials below, all of the white-lettered dials are pictured within this thread, which according to my last count is 9 dials. The dials are, MARK 0, MARK 1, MARK 2, MARK 2.5, MARK 3, MARK 4 MARK 5 MARK 5.A and MARK 6. Below are examples of the MARK 0, MARK 5.A and MARK 6. (If you have not read the complete thread, the white-lettered dials are identified with a W prefix, such as W-1, W-2 etc which is how I identified the white-lettered dials so they wouldn't be confused with the gilt dials which are identified with a G prefix.)

The MARK 0 dial is the first variation of the white-lettered dials and appears in the late 1.4 million serial number range up to possibly the 1.6 million range serial numbers. The MARK 0 dial appears very similar to the last variation of the gilt dial. The coronet also appears similar to the MARK 2 white-lettered dial. From my personal observations, and others I have talked with, the MARK 0 watches had the small 24-hour hand as "original equipment." The GMTs with this dial rarely show up for sale and are rather elusive.

The MARK 5.A is a variation of the MARK 5 dial, with font spacing somewhat different along with a slightly different coronet than the MARK 5 dial. The time frame for this dial seems to be from around 1976 until the late 1970s - the same era as the MARK 5 dial.

The MARK 6 dial has a very long, slender coronet and from my experience, appears to be the last variation of the GMT 1675 dials from the late 1970s. This dial could have been used as a service dial at some point in time.

While some here might not agree with my assumptions, my observations and conclusions are based are many years of ownership and time studying the various Rolex GMT 1675 variations. I am by no means an expert, but do enjoy the GMT models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark 0.JPG (117.1 KB, 1023 views)
File Type: jpg Img_5368.AAA.SM.jpg (67.2 KB, 1020 views)
File Type: jpg Img_5372AAA.med.jpg (105.5 KB, 1026 views)
File Type: jpg mark 6.sm.jpg (105.8 KB, 1027 views)
File Type: jpg Mark 6.backsideSM.jpg (121.2 KB, 1032 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.

Last edited by HL65; 26 July 2015 at 06:44 AM..
springer is offline   Reply With Quote