View Single Post
Old 8 July 2015, 04:40 AM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
PAM292 vs PAM505

So first off, I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death as I imagine it's a popular discussion. I have searched for info and found a bit here and there but would really love to hear a fresh comparative take on these two watches.

Let me also explain my interest and how things balance for me. I've never owned a Panerai but I've been a long time admirer. After years of trying on watches, and endless hours of internet drooling, I am quite certain If I ever manage to pull the trigger it would be for a 292 or 505. I have also considered the 183, 210 and 380 but ultimately I know I won't be happy till I end up with the composite or ceramic.

OK so here's my preferences and thoughts.

Color and Style:
I give this a very slight edge to the 505. There's something about the brown hue that is so unique and attractive to me. Also love the brown strap. However, I would be concerned that I might get slightly bored with the color scheme down the road which would push my back towards the 292 which is obviously classic. Black on black is a flat out winning combo so it's a tough call.

Function:
I would prefer to have the date but can live without it.

Movement:
I've heard a lot of opinions about "in house" movement vs (whatever is) the mechanical movement of the 292. I've heard everything from "who cares" to "I would never pay for a Panerai with an outsourced movement". Honestly I have no idea what to think. Experts please weight in. This issue does however lead my directly to my next consideration...

Price:
I would most likely take the pre-owned route here, and possibly make a trade with a value of about $5000 towards the Panerai. I've seen a few good 292 candidates for sub $5500 and a rarely but occasionally I've seen the 505 for sub $7500. With that said I would really like to not have to add a lot of money on top of a potential trade. It's not that I can't afford it, it's just an obvious attempt to save money. As read above, the color scheme and style is not worth the extra cost of the 505 to me, but possibly the date function and in house movement is. So in your opinions is it worth spending the extra cash?

My Foggy Conclusion
If they were both the exact same price I would get the 505. So yes, it is the watch I like slightly more. But I'm just not sure it's worth the extra couple grand.

Thanks in advance!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote