View Single Post
Old 6 November 2015, 03:01 AM   #134
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
You are confusing a Marinemaster with a Grand Seiko, it i not, the equivalent Grand Seiko to a Rolex sub costs about the same. Simple as that.
I am not confused, you just don't understand what I am talking about.

Go back 10 years and look at the MSRP of Seiko Marinemaster SBDB001 ($5000 USD) and Rolex Sub's MSRP (~$4525), they are very close. So 10 years ago one could say they are at the same level.

But now Rolex Sub has doubled in price (~$8550) and yet SBDB001 is still the same price as it was 10 years ago ($5000), and because Sub has doubled in price, so SBDB001 is no longer in the same league?

If Seiko had the brand power of Rolex and could raise the price of SBDB001 every year like Rolex, the Marinemaster SBDB001 would be as expensive as Rolex Sub is today.

Heck, if Rolex keeps raising prices, in 10 more years the Sub will be a 17k USD watch and Seiko will have to come up with another brand because the GS diver ($5700) will no longer be in the same league.

Hopefully by that time you won't be saying "you are confusing a GS diver with 'Great Grand Seiko', it is not, the equivalent 'Great Grand Seiko super duper diver' to a Rolex sub cost about the same, simple as that".

FYI The new version of SBDB001 is SBDB011, and the MSRP is now actually $4500 USD, 500 dollar less, how about that. The same watch is now cheaper than it was 10 years ago, hence my point of Seiko just doesn't have the pricing power of Rolex. 10 years ago SBDB001 competes against Rolex Sub, now it competes with Tudor........
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote