View Single Post
Old 10 November 2015, 03:54 AM   #47
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage navitimer View Post
My two cents worth of opinion. Breitling has been making it's own movement for just a few short years (actually they bought a small movement company a number of years back and made it there own). Rolex has been making its own movement since . . . well, forever. Advantage Rolex. As for fit, finish, level of polishing work, absolute attention to detail . . . I think Breitling wins that aspect.

Oh, as for Panerai in house movements. Panerai is part of an ownership watch group that includes JLC (jaeger lecoultre) Plenty of history to JLC movements, that is essentially what you get in a Panerai with an "in house" movement. Top notch stuff!
Regarding to own chronograph movement Rolex has only about 9 years of advantage. They have the more modern escapement but suffer in the missing date feature, the more-than-100-m waterresistance, the better visibility day-and-night, the missing blue dial option (steel models) and the turning bezel. All in all, these points won when I've voted for the Chronomat 41 (blackeye-blue dial). Haven't regretted it. If some time the steel Daytona should have a day-date feature and a Yachtmaster-like bezel in the 40 mm case I'd surely be among the first buyers. But I do not think this will be made in my lifetime... So Breitling should have the day-date (or simple full calender) on their Chronomat 41... this contains more reality :) until that I'll go on wearing my Chronomat 41.
(I've had a few Rolex watches in the past as well - steel Sub, GMTII. and TT Sub blue dial - so nothing against nice Rolex watches of course.)
Robertus2 is offline   Reply With Quote