View Single Post
Old 13 June 2008, 01:44 PM   #22
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

Just about every day, few times a day, I get a customer in who looks at watches, as they go through my cases of Rolex and come up to first case of Breitling, I hear this question: "How does Breitling compare to Rolex?"

Well, it doesn't. Its like comparing a Bentely Azure to a Ferrari F430. The watches have different backgrounds, different history, different style. Rolex is classic, original, one of the 3 companies in the world(besides Patek and Jaeger, correct me if im wrong) who still makes the watch completely in-house from movement to bracelet. Rolex is responsible for first wrist watch as well as frist water-proof watch. The styles really tend to NOT change with Rolex. Until recently, Rolex has had moderately sized at 34, 36, 39, and 40mm cases(for men). I really don't think I need to tell you the epic models Rolex has been making for years and years.

With Breitling, it is one of the few brands in the world that puts EVERY watch they make through COSC certification, the ONLY company in the world to do it with quartz watches. These watches are timepiece instruments. Their style is VERY different from that of Rolex. The only model that comes even remotely close to be able to compare is a Cockpit vs DateJust. Cockpit is bigger, but was actually designed specifically to compete with Rolex Datejust. It is a very simple, beautiful watch. All others, you just CAN'T compare. They also do have their historic landmarks. The Navitimer for example, the oldest chrono wrist watch in the world. It has been made practically in the same style since the 1950's. The Chrono-Matic was one of the very first, if not THE first, automatic chronographs when it was released in 1960's.

Both of these brands are incredible imo, but I just honestly cannot say one is better than the other. It is all personal preference as to which style is like by whom.

As far as someone's comment about Breitling being sold EVERYWHERE. I will have to disagree and say that Breitling is even more exclusive that Rolex. There are a lot more Rolex AD's out there than Breitling.
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote