View Single Post
Old 19 November 2015, 11:46 AM   #37
Bocktagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamaster GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well it isn't just the movement, the dial is also wrong so is it possible the watchmaker switched a whole fake watch? If you have pics of the watch you bought before you had the work done then you will know who is the guilty party - the seller or watchmaker.
I agree with you, especially after seeing what the Breitling world had to say about it. I was just saying that is what was suggested when we were on the phone so I think it is highly unlikely he knew considering he shelled out 600 to have it serviced. I don't know anyone that would do that to a fake watch. I am checking with the seller to see if I can come up with that picture. I think that is a good idea. One that I haven't thought of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Also, where did the seller acquire the watch in the first place?
The seller bought the watch from a friend when he lived in Germany. He said he was standing right beside him when his friend purchased the watch from an AD there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
Yes, and again, it would be helpful to the entire watch "pre-owned" community to know if this watch (whether when you bought it or originally) ever came with full box and papers??? It's clearly a fake and I'd like to know/see the documentation. Thanks.
The watch apparently did come with full box and papers. When I originally made the deal I told him that if he could get them to me I would give him another 400 dollars because it was left in storage before he left. While I understand what this is sounding like, after talking to the watchmaker these things weren't much of a concern as I was dead certain it was an authentic watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzs View Post
I'm still waiting on pictures of this fake watch.

P.S. Bocktagon: I think you're a nice guy, but the Brietling crowd knew that was a fake watch the minute they saw it. Yes, I know the AD serviced it, but I've seen some fairly ignorant watchmakers who don't even know the caliber number of the movement they're working on. You had horrible luck with that, and I'm sorry that they serviced and authenticated it for you. I'll give you that. However, very quick, simple research could've very easily avoided this entire thing. You probably are getting scammed by the guy who sold it to you. As always, do your homework, buy the seller, and walk away if there's even a smidgen of doubt. Best of luck to you in future purchases.
I will post pictures in the next post for you to see.

Thank you for saying I sound like a nice guy. I can't believe you have seen watchmakers that wouldn't know if a watch was authentic if they entirely disassembled it and put it back together. With that being said, I am not a watchmaker so it's tough for me to pass judgement on that matter. However, I consider myself quite good at my job which so happens to be explosives and I would certainly know if anything in that department is authentic or not without fail. I would imagine most of you would say the same about your trade no? If you're a doctor, would you know if a person had a fake heart if you were operation on them? If you're a mechanic would you not realize an engine wasn't the right one if you completely disassembled it and put it back together? Is that a fair comparison to working on watches every single day for 20 years plus?
Bocktagon is offline   Reply With Quote