Thread: 18038 Vs 118238
View Single Post
Old 27 June 2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Mort
"TRF" Member

18038 Vs 118238

Hi Everyone,

Its been about a month since I got my F series 118238 Day Date and I thought I would post a comparison/review on my new watch.

As some of you know, ever since I have joined TRF I have owned my last DD a 18038 that was made in about 1985-87 era. That DD was actually my second DD I had owned. My first was a really beat up non quick set, noh hidden clasp model from the late 60s. did not know enough about them to really be able to date it, needless to say it was old.

I purchased my 18038 in the Fall of 2003. When I got it it had an aftermarket white MOP dial with Romans. I liked the dial except the wording on it was not right. Instead of saying "oyster perpetual" it said "oyster perpetual date" in the same line like a sub does. Then had Day- Date under that. For what I paid for the watch, I could live with it. The rest of the watch was in pretty good shape.

About 8 months after I had the 18038, I was a a dealer who took my MOP Roman dial in trade for a MOP with diamonds with the correct text on the dial. Hated it!!!. It was not me, but was better than the really bad MOP it had. .
In march of 05 the watch took a dump and needed a servicing. I had just bought my TT DJ brand new from an AD who I took the DD to. It cost me an arm and a leg to get a servce plus the cost of a beat up factory stick dial for them to send off to Rolex to get me a factory white with Romans . After a month and a half and $1000, I finally had the DD I always aspired to own. I have worn this watch a lot, and I have been very happy with the watch since then. It kept pretty accurate time and over all it was a pretty nice watch.

My 18038 had pretty much become my signature watch, with the exception to jumping to some strap watches which I love, and later having a Patek in my collection. Still the DD got more wear. Back at middle of May, I started looking at getting a DD from this century. I knew I wanted the heavier bracelet, and also wanted the newer clasp like my TT DJ had. I sold my Patek and my 18038 and was able to buy my F series 118238.

What a different watch. The 118238 is a lot heavier. More than I expected. The first few days I wore it, I could tell the difference just how it felt compaired to the old 18038.

Another difference is my newer one is a double quick set. It is nice not having to spin and spin to change the day. I also like the polished lugs on the 118238. It really made it look more updated compaired to the brush finish of my 18038. It is also the most accurate Rolex I have ever owned. I did have to have it regulated and now it keeps great time. Last but not least, the newer clasp seems much more sturdier. My clasp on the 18038 was kind of bent or in better words contoured after 20 years of wear and the crown on the bottom was so worn it was almost flat looking.

Do not get me wrong, if I could of never gotten a newer DD and had to have the old one as my only watch, I would of been content as the DD was always my grail watch from the day I got my first glance at one in the early 80's. Still, I feel fortunate to been able to trade up over the years.

16 years ago, my wife gave me my first Rolex. A stainless Oyster no date, jubilee with a white face and black romans. She wanted it to be a watch I could use to trade up till I got the only I always wanted. I think I have now achieved that.

In closing I will say, I love watches. I have gone back and fourth with different and other makes and love them as well. I would like to own another Patek someday as it was an exquisite time piece. It just never felt the way a Rolex felt. As I do my daily duties and glance down, I see a crown on a face that reminds me that I really do love Rolex no matter what model it is.

Thanks for the rant.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote