View Single Post
Old 18 March 2016, 12:35 AM   #51
murcielago_boy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5170j
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Hell of a third post.
I sincerely apologise if you felt that my post was offensive. In hindsight, I could have expressed my opinions more delicately particularly if you may own said pieces. Apolgies.

It's not that I'm not a fan of the Nautilus - it's just that I feel that the slimmer 5711 and 5712 are more consistent with what **I** consider to the brands core values of timeless elegance and discretion. I may well be alone in my opinion and I hope we can agree to disagree amicably.

@ el1125: I watched an interview on CNBC (I think) where the President of Patek USA came on saying that Patek were trying to target more of the 28-35 crowd. And perhaps, you're right, that the Nautilus and precious metal versions will be especially good at doing this.
The problem my friend is that a 5980/R in the UK costs around £62,000 or circa $90,000 and there's just not that many individuals of that age, with that kind of disposal $$$ to spend on watch. Oddly enough, I still fall into this age category but when my time came to buy my first Patek aged 30, I looked past the entire Nautilus range and purchased perhaps the most boringly classical Patek they've produced in years... the 5170j.
Now as a wannabe-budding PP collector, I don't want Patek to erode their core values by making, what I consider to be, their own version of an AP ROO, in pursuit of customer base that barely exists. AP did this and have effectively become and one-watch brand as a result.

To prove my point, if I look at this 2016 collection the most controversial model is actually not the 5930 but the 5327 models. These have gone up in case size from the 5140 which was bigger than the 3940 before it using the same movement. is this Patek cynically re-sizing watches to attract a different younger buyer who demands a larger (and therefore necessarily more showy watch which isn't necessarily in keeping with the discretion typically associated with the brand) OR is this keeping-up-with-times?

Apologies for any offence. Just a few random garbled thoughts.
murcielago_boy is offline   Reply With Quote