View Single Post
Old 27 March 2016, 12:08 AM   #150
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Really great thread guys

I haven't worn a suit much in the last ten years, but that is beginning to change. The information and the links in this thread are a great start towards buying some quality shoes.

There is a John Lobb store in Dubai. I love the look of the Phillip II. Would it be wise to start this adventure there, or should I be at a beginners level at this point?
My advice to you would be to invest some time and do some research first. Do your best to take your time and understand exactly why something from John Lobb cost more than something from Allen Edmonds. Because after all as I have said previously in this thread a shoe from both brands will potentially last the same amount of time, however being able to appreciate the differences and understanding what the differences are makes the purchase of something from John Lobb truly worth the extra cost. Understand also that just because your determined to get something from John Lobb doesn't mean that the the Last from John Lobb will fit you any better than something from Allen Edmonds. In fact you may find you may achieve a better fit with something from Allen Edmonds.

Personally I started purchasing shoes from Allen Edmonds and gradually went to Alden, Carmina, Crockett and Jones, Alfred Sargent, Vass, John Lobb, St Crispins, Gaziano and Girling, and Edward Green. I have decide I prefer shoes from the top tier shoemakers and no longer care to purchase from some of the mid tier or lower tier shoemakers and I know exactly why I do not. I don't necessarily recommend this approach as it will cost you more money in the long run. But I do know what is a good fit and I do know exactly why it is that I prefer to do so.

The following is an excellent place to start. The reason being this is where there are more experts and more opinions than just the few that hang out in this thread. I highly encourage you to take a look here. There are a number of appreciation threads for a number of different brands and some vendor threads. Its a mixed bag but overall if you take your time and go thru the threads that interest you the most and do some research you can get some extremely valuable information here.

Don't lose sight that if it doesn't fit it doesn't matter how much you spend it just wont work for you. Also do yourself a gigantic favor and don't just focus on one brand. Take a look at the others as well as though some brands are known for certain styles and some of these may appeal to you that other brands are capable of equally marvelous things as well. That is as long as it FITs you.

http://www.styleforum.net/f/5/classic-menswear

P.S. Don't jump in with both feet too quickly. After purchasing your first pair take your time and move slowly. The slower you go the less regrets you may have later.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote