View Single Post
Old 13 April 2016, 11:50 AM   #26
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
that's good device to own (or have access to) especially if one were collecting older pre-tritium watch models or a watch repairman servicing vintage-era timepieces.

incidentally, just got off the phone & ran your reading by the individual who had considered buying this older model Submariner...he said the one he tested gave a reading of 0.3 uSv/h.

I would imagine that the RSC (or any watchmaker) neither appreciates/enjoys/or looks forward to these kinds of watches coming in for periodic servicing. being that radium is easily ingested via breathing and/or soft tissue contact, pro-active precautionary measures must be taken when opening them up.

It is a good device to have for little more than $110 - especially if you are going to be handling vintage parts that might be radium. I have purchased several sets of hands from various vintage markets and off the Bay that were radium and cause a lot of clicking noise.

0.3 uSv/hr is actually not bad. 3 my concern would be elevated. 0.3 is like eating 3 bananas per day

Good chart here on relative doses (I am not professionally trained in this):