View Single Post
Old 27 April 2016, 06:15 PM   #33
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Good. I need / want / crave a Dato perpetual
Great choice, 130.000 euros retail, can be had new or mint with incredible discounts, around 70 mint and 90 new, when I Asked wempe for a discount they said nope as that model "doesn't loose any money and in fact gains value", yeah right, 60k off retail for a new one means buying it for retail is truly a super investment, salespeople!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
I'm familiar with Patek and in their line the 5960 in all configurations has plummeted quite a bit. For a watch with a $90K approx MSRP that is down below $60 nowadays seems quite lousy...
Yes the grey dial took a huge beating, blue and black much less but still lost a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by uri40 View Post
Ok, but even the classic RO and ROO diver?
If you buy very well no, the ceramic diver was retail 23.500 euros, between discount and tax refund I paid in all 18k and could get 19 out of it, just get the right models at the best price, I have 2 high end watches on order I am getting a very good discount between the shop and tax refunding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Market is softening. I have met plenty of mainland Chinese businessmen - many are factory and real estate owners with minimal education (i.e. the exact kind of guys who gobble up luxury watches)

My father-in-law owns a mine and several factories in the mainland. He notes that many of his managers and partners, who have now been wealthy for decades, have begun to eschew watches, jewels and gold in favor of real estate investments. He has a funny story of a business partner who walked into a Shanghai watch shop, stated that he was a VIP customer, and demanded the most expensive watch in the store. That same individual no longer buys watches and has even started checking prices at restaurants (he used to make a dramatic display of never looking at menu prices)

At the same time, every year a new crop of men becomes wealthy and seeks to display its wealth, so the market isn't dead. But many existing customers are becoming more sophisticated and buying more selectively. At least, that's the word I've heard on the street
I heard that the government in China has for some time now publicly criticized wealthy people buying ultra luxury goods, cars, designer bags and especially high end watches and guys who were wearing 400-800k watches are now wearing much cheaper ones, doesn't help the industry of course, about brands like RM doing strong again on some models, many models when phrchased pre owned still take some kind of beating, the only ones who more or less don't loose too much is Rolex steel models xxf and certain Pateks, in any case buy right is for me the capital rule
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote