View Single Post
Old 28 April 2016, 08:12 AM   #132
crgrbrts
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1959 6564
The mariner and me

I am thrilled to see posted the iconic "In 1926 we made the first waterproof wrist chronometer..." ad for the then newly launched Submariner.

I was 19 years old in March of 1966 and even though I was a landlocked lad in Missouri I -- on a whim -- bought a copy of that month's issue of Yachting Magazine from a local news vendor. I have no idea why. Perhaps I was longing for a journey into exotica. Or, maybe I was just bored.

At any rate, as I thumbed through the irrelevant pages illustrating and celebrating the unobtainable playthings of my betters, I came across the iconic Rolex Submariner ad. It stopped me short and rooted me to the page. I read and re-read its compelling copy while being riveted by the image of the no-doubt heroic or st least worldly mariner. I wanted to be him -- and I wanted a Rolex.

Thus, two years later as a newly enlisted member of the United States Navy, I devoted the bulk of each pay packet to the satisfaction of a layaway debt to a shoreside jeweler who had kindly set a aside a plain stainless, but still glorious, Rolex chronometer for me.

The day I paid off the obligation and took possession of my Rolex was one of wonder, joy and excitement. The kindly shopkeeper had even engraved my name on the back of MY Rolex as a surprise!

I wore that watch daily for decades, it leaving my wrist only for faithful, periodic service trips to the white coated wizards at Rolex USA, New York.

Alas, my precious timepiece was stolen some years ago and I have missed it greatly. Happily, however, I have just acquired a lovingly restored and nearly identical 6564 crafted in the year of my birth -- 1946. Life is good!

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966-Rolex-Submariner.jpg (132.8 KB, 1462 views)
crgrbrts is offline   Reply With Quote