View Single Post
Old 5 May 2016, 11:31 AM   #22
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
I've used him several times and am somewhat conflicted about this issue. He should have known back then (or at least now should know) what's real and what's not. Now, the next question is should he provide an evaluation if not prompted to do so?

If he's not asked directly, is it possible to think that he assumes his customers know what they own (especially if they don't ask for an authenticity check)? Maybe he feels it rude to point out that a customer's piece is fake if they don't ask (could be a cultural thing, for all I know).

For example, my grandfather ("GF") leaves me a beautiful bubble back with a worn out, fake bracelet. I want the bracelet restored so that I can wear my GF's piece again just like he did. I don't care that it's fake because the value to me is in the memories of my GF's love for his watch; my only care is that it's functional while retaining the charm my GF gave it. Seems reasonable to me? On the same token, I wouldn't be insulted if MY told me it was fake just as a "FYI", but maybe someone else would get insulted? I don't know, just putting out possibilities.

Note: I'm curious to hear from someone from/around this culture as to the validity of any cultural norm argument to be made here (I'm looking to you, Adam ).
It would depend on the individual, Robby. Culture aside, if it was an SS bracelet I could maybe understand, but for a gold bracelet, I believe gold pins are used, making it a much more expensive fix. So in this case, I think a heads-up would be in order, if it was noticed that the bracelet is fake and only gold plated or whatever.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote