View Single Post
Old 15 July 2008, 11:39 PM   #15
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Sorry,
I have to disagree with the student loan payment in lieu of the watch. Sometimes we get too practical.

This girl has no expectation of a gift or loan repayment. She has grabbed a tiger by the tail and worked her way through law school. Now her uncle is going to give her what will become a family heirloom eventually, but for the next 40 years it will be a proud reminder of her accomplishment and what a considerate and kind man her uncle is / was (sorry). It also starts her off on the right footing in establishing a professional appearance.

Knocking $5K off her loans is a nice gesture, but is quickly forgotten. Kind of like giving your kids gift cards vs presents at Christmas.

So I vote that you give her the watch. Even though I'm not normally a fan of engraving, I might consider it in this case.

Edit: As to the Rolex to get -- a ladies DJ in SS with a white dial. Something classy and flexible. Exp II is nice on a women if it's her third or fourth watch, but it misses the mark in a business suit. We take this woman wearing men's watches a bit too far in my view. They are fine for casual wear only.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote