Thread: Bob's Watches
View Single Post
Old 25 May 2016, 07:24 AM   #136
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
I know nothing about Bob's Watches, nor do I work there. That said, he has a business. He is in business to make money. Period. While his price quote tactics may be in need of adjustment, it's no different than trading in a car. You are ALWAYS going to get more money by selling it yourself. Many people do not like the hassle of doing this, so they are willing to take less to trade it in. I buy watches regularly from the public, and I always make it clear that I am factoring in servicing, reconditioning, and other unforeseen costs into my offer. I never give any quotes without physically holding the watch. I really don't blame him for being so forward about some of the claims made by those that have not had any direct involvement with his business. I too have inquired about watches from reputable dealers on this site, and have been given low offers on possible trade ins. That's how it works.
I personally think you have been dealing/speaking to the wrong people then. In the past I have sold around 5 watches I think to companies as I didn't want the hassle of selling myself. All asked for the usual pictures and agree on offer, once seen every single one of them stook to there word and there offer. If someone was to come back to me and say actually I need this watch mint serviced condition I can't give you the price I told you, how about 25% less? I would never do any business with them ever. It is quite obvious they tried to pull a fast one which may be common practice for them. However I wouldn't deal with a company I felt were intentionally using techniques to lower the price. Anyway I suppose the argument will be split. Yes businesses will always try and maximize profits, however I would prefer to deal with companies that outline everything before hand and stick to there word, the businesses that do will always get the return customers. I am not referring to bobs in this post particularly as obviously I don't live in the US and have never had any dealings with them, so I have no idea the exact circumstances.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote