View Single Post
Old 26 May 2016, 02:15 PM   #25
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
We all have our hobbies and very different comfort levels when it comes to spending money on them. Early in life, any excess money typically goes to home/living expenses and retirement savings. Once you get more established, you are free to spend more on material items, travel, etc.

To get more to your question, my total current replacement value (pre-owned prices for 7 watches) is probably around 5% of our annual household income and maybe around 1% of our net worth. So while I could certainly afford to spend more, I just feel that I have more than enough. I feel that even though I'd love a Nautilus 5980 or 5990 it won't make me 3-4 times as happy as having my Royal Oak Chronograph. In the end, they're still just material objects, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything when I have my $150 Seiko 5 on instead of my AP. So I would never borrow or finance a watch or any luxury (i.e. non-essential) item unless it was 0% and I wanted to play with the money for the term of the loan. In the end, make sure you and your financial house are in order, and then spend an amount with which you are comfortable. There will always be great watches for sale. No rush.
That is where I was going.

5% and 1%.

Maybe others could chime in like this as that would make this quite interesting!!!!

My collection is less than .5% of annual and less than .25% of net worth.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote