View Single Post
Old 28 May 2016, 01:44 PM   #41
watch royal
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 6494, 16030
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post

Not all 16030's came with one of the best vintage Datejust features- the sunken Pie Pan dial. That was available on the 16030's grandfather, the 1603.
Yes I feel like its such a toss up between a 1600 and a 16000 series for best vintage DJ. The 1600 has probably the most robust movements ever created by Rolex and your absolutely right the pie pan dial is superb. I just personally feel the 16000 series has the best of both modern and vintage to it, that's just IMO..... I'd like to have both

Ohh and you 1603 is beautiful and so original. I love the plain silver dial. I wouldn't have even thought I'd like that either because its plain but in person its beautiful and dynamic in all different lighting also its the easiest dial to read I've ever owned. I can be half asleep and quick glance at it and know the time and in the end that's what it all comes down to. People say originality doesn't matter on DJ but I disagree and think over time they will find a good nitch for collecting because they are just great and the backbone of Rolex . maybe not as much character as other models but in their own way its simple elegant character.

My 16030 I just acquired came with a USA oval link that is so comfy. Has a little stretch/really wear but it ads character and it's all scratched up just how I like it. My watch will look the same once it returns from service because no polishing for me. My DJ is 1981 so it had to be one of the last sold with a USA jubilee because the seller bought it new and it was never changed in anyway at any service.