View Single Post
Old 29 May 2016, 06:31 AM   #14
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I have visited a couple of FP Journe boutiques (Tokyo and Geneva) and they make some really nice watches. However nothing has really wow'ed me. Tantalum is an interesting metal and their petite and grande sonnerie watches are actually very good. And I have nothing but great respect for Francoise-Paul Journe.

I have also tried on RM, MB&F, GF, Urwerk and ALS at several high-end watch stores. Each of these manufacturers have their niche market. But they seem to run parallel to one another in creating their own special line of watches. The workmanship of the movement and the case is usually quite superb.

But I can't quite say if any of these brands are "superior" to Patek Philippe. They are, on their own, prime examples of haute horology. But when you get to this level, it is often difficult to say if one is better than the other. One is attracted to watches from one brand or another, not because it is better than another or the "best", but rather because a specific watch from a certain brand draws you in in a special way. It is really a person thing IMHO.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote