View Single Post
Old 16 July 2016, 03:03 AM   #21
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Well....only July and we are over 45 (due to SOs and/or friends/family). As we add dealers and watch industry people, I would say list is over 50!

I have been struggling with ideas and need your help (I have consulted with some members and I am back to square one!):

As the group grows larger, the logistics are not the same. Reserving for 10 people is easy, doing so for 30+ requires deposits, menu selections, minimums to be covered, signed agreements...you get the picture. My personal experience is that, unfortunately, we have a 15-20% 'no show' typically. If we want (well, we need) to cap the event (no place can hold a place for 20 or 50, we need a definite max number) this would mean that some members would be left out while we have some no shows....or empty seats.

Some have suggested using a non refundable deposit to confirm, using those resources to help secure location and cover some expenses (if used for location deposit, this would be applied to, say, the dinner bill or towards meeting restaurant minimum consumption)...however, this is where I struggle.

I have always done this for fun, and the idea behind TRF GTGs is not to make money, but to provide a nice experience for everyone, but by the same token, it might be fair so we know exactly how many people to expect...see, I am torn!

What are your thoughts? Play it by ear? Use a deposit? If so, how much?

To mods: this is a sincere question, and not a justification to make a profit out of an event that I love organizing. TRFers: comments welcome!
G, you're salt of the earth, and I realize you don't want to put anyone out, but keep in mind this could get expensive, and you should take on ZERO risk in this.

I suggest a $100 non-refundable deposit (NRD). Without a NRD, you could be left holding the bag...and that is NOT acceptable! You should not be put in a position where you could lose one penny. For this to work, I think it's totally reasonable (IMHO) to ask people to make a $100 NRD to secure a spot. You are doing the lion's share of the work out of the goodness of your heart. If someone doesn't want to make that commitment, well, then they don't get to participate. This is just my 2-cents, and this is just me trying to look out for you, fine Sir!

G, as we discussed offline, to allay any concerns of the $100 non-refundable deposit going to “waste”, anyone who sends in the $100 NRD will be entered into a "giveaway" to allow them a chance to win "something" even if they don't attend the 2017 LV GTG. The "giveaway" raffle would be drawn at one of the events during the GTG.

A side note to all: I attended the 2016 LV GTG, and G did a majority of the legwork to make the event extremely fun, engaging, informative, and inclusive. Others certainly contributed a lot as well, and a BIG THANKS go out to them, too! We should remember that it's easy to just show up, have a good time, and then go home. However, having attended the 2016 LV GTG, it's obvious there is A LOT of time, effort, coordination, and even some $$ that goes into planning this. The 2017 LV GTG already appears to be a larger group, and given the likely need for "money up front" to reserve rooms, etc., a non-refundable deposit seems totally appropriate.

To the Moderators: I apologize in advance if my suggestion bends or breaks any of the Forum rules. My intention is SOLEY to ensure Gerardo takes on NO risk. This NRD idea is in no way intended to be a for-profit exercise.

Best regards to all, and bring on the LV GTG!

-Steve