View Single Post
Old 31 July 2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The Parachrome...What It Is, And What It Isn't...

It seems that the Parachrome Bleu hairspring has generated enough ink and paper to clear a forest and render a herd of Octopi extinct.

But, is it really deserved.......

Personally I think it is over-hyped. Probably to show that Rolex isn't really the tortoise folks think it is and to generate some enthusiasm.. Also, to counter some of Omega's over hyped Co-ax modified ETA ink.

Here is what I see:

The 3186 has a new designation, not because of the Parachrom, but because parts were modified internally; so certain parts cannot be interchanged with the earlier 3185

The DSSD press kit information states that the DeepSea is equipped with the usual 3135, Parachrome equipped movement, and not a different number.

The new Day-Date II has a a movement fitted with the new Rolex in-house Paraflex shock system, the Parachrom, and perhaps other enhancements to fit into the latest 41mm case. More has been done than just a hairspring

This tells me that just the change to the Parachrom is not enough of a change, even by Rolex standards, to get a different movement number..

It also might mean that the 3135 assembly line is ratcheting up to incorporate the Parachrom....It seems like it might be a direct replacement for the Nivarox spring that Rolex knows will be tightening their distribution network. I just can't imagine Rolex operating one 3135 assembly line for the Paracharm hairspring and a separate one for the Nivarox hairspring.

The Parachrom is an advancement because Rolex was able to use their own methods and different materials to obtain their own patent....But, it is still just a hairspring - it just doesn't do anything differently.

What do you think..??