View Single Post
Old 12 August 2016, 07:27 AM   #52
rolexRV
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckred View Post
Nice!, and brings up memories from my summers passed:

I was looking through some old pictures and randomly found this one. Sorry it's a crappy scan. Probably not the same vision or memories of Aspen that most on the forum have! It is the only evidence I have been able to find of owning this watch! I bought it used around 1978, from a pawn shop in Westwood, CA.

This photo was taken around 1981 back in my past life on a Helitack crew, fighting forest fires around the Western US (this photo was in Aspen in fire camp. Hunter S. was still alive and well, and a bit of a cult hero for us at the time). The watch had been with me on a bike tour in New Zealand and Tasmania, surfing trips, three summers on the fire lines and multiple deep powder days in Utah. (I certainly didn't take any evasive actions to prevent scratches when I saw someone else walking my way, or wonder "is it safe to...")

I had no idea it had a name "Pogue" - amazing what you can learn on the internet.

It sadly met its demise when it lost its water resistance and leaked - I was told it wasn't worth fixing and it went in the trash.

Finding this photo made me think about trying to find a replacement - they seem to be running $300 - $600. Mine did not have the "Resist" dial. Is it worth the premium $s?

What do you think - worth the pursuit, or a nostalgic waste of $$$?

What can I tell you mate... These watches are gorgeus.. I have some of them... Love them..

Good luck with The hunt!
rolexRV is offline   Reply With Quote