View Single Post
Old 23 August 2016, 04:46 PM   #44
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Cheers Rick,
My roaster usually has my bean to me within a few days but I have found over many years that anything within a fortnight of roast is fine just as long as it has been vacuum sealed and kept cool. Some varieties are only at their best a week or so after roast anyhow.
I take several weeks to use a kilo and the bean lives in a couple of layers of clip-seal foil bags in the bottom of the fridge. Heat and moisture are the main enemies of roasted bean and as long as the bean is well sealed it is just fine in the fridge for several weeks.
I learned years ago to avoid any bean from supermarkets as they usually show a "use by" date instead of a "roast date" and can be many months old. Supermarket beans are rarely top quality beans in any case and are generally to be avoided.
When available, the Jamacian Blue Mountain come in 2kilo lots for $100. I need to find another enthusiast to share the quantity.
I've had freshly roasted JBM. It is very good, but I wouldn't buy it again. Compared to other freshly roasted varieties, it's just not that much better to justify the expense.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote