View Single Post
Old 21 September 2016, 06:58 PM   #62
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I don't have a problem with "homage" watches, if that is what they should be called. To borrow design cues from other watches is quite common and many of Rolex's intellectual property has fallen into the public domain.

There are some very rugged watches that borrow from other brands such as Rolex and as long as they stay within the law, I don't have a problem with that.

The thing is that it is pretty stupid to buy some "homage" brands, when the same amount of money will get you a very nice Seiko or many other brands that are excellent watches in their own right and you actually get your money's worth.

I bought an Invicta 8926 many years ago, mainly because I wanted to see if I could ever be satisfied with a mechanical movement, after years of wearing quartz models.

To my surprise, not only could I do so, but I was less obsessive about timekeeping than I'd been in decades wearing quartz watches.

The Invicta didn't make me rush out and buy a Sub, but it eventually led me to buy my first high-quality automatic in some 40 years.

That was my Explorer (114270) and I haven't looked back.

I still own and enjoy certain quartz watches, but it is the manual movements that give me the greatest joy.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote