View Single Post
Old 28 September 2016, 04:55 PM   #332
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Glad that everything turned out okay for the OP... And now a dump of my conscience.

Friends, let not friends buy from countries with lax law enforcement. It is hard for me to say this, but yeah, many places of the former Soviet Bloc are not friendly to online traders who mainly rely on reputation. This has nothing to do with people who live in those countries!

Many denizens of Eastern Europe are quite polite, honest and hard-working. They won't scam you. However, crime in those countries does pay when you consider a potential payout (a used modern Rolex may feed many mouths for months) and the low probability of getting caught or simply knowing right people who can make your problem go away. Thus, as a seller outside of those countries, you have odds stacked against you. If things go wrong, you less simply have less leverage. Thus, your best bet is to stay away.

Of course, there are reasons around it. Private couriers, in-person delivery and getting payment up front could help. But do you really know all the tricks? So here is my advice: Always conduct your business in a manner that lets you sleep at night. And for me it means dealing with people in places where criminals have more chances of being accountable for their actions.