View Single Post
Old 10 October 2016, 12:30 PM   #293
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
Usually a Rolex needs a service in 7-10 years. If your watch starts losing time or stops completely then it needs a service, unless it's less than five years old, then something has broken or a screw has come loose. And you need an honest watchmaker to not take advantage of this. As to whether to send it in personally or not, this is my view. Do you have a great independent watchmaker in your area? Does he/she have a Rolex parts account? (critical), are they credentialed? Rolex trained, CW21 or CMW21 tested. If you don't have this, I would sent it to Rolex. I would ask the authorized dealer what additional charges there are in addition to the Rolex repair. Shipping runs $50.00-$100.00 whether you send it or the dealer sends it. $100 for gold or platinum. If the dealer charges an additional markup (their right to do so) or not, you may be better off sending it yourself, via US Postal service Registered Mail. I am fortunate, I worked with a Rolex trained, CMW21 watchmaker for 36 years, I just retired from an AD. Rolex inspects the store and his setup and makes sure we had any new equipment in order to service the watches properly. He's still working, and he never charged for a service if it didn't need one and he could fix it easily, loose screw. He might charge $25.00, or nothing if it was purchased from us. I am spoiled as it's great to have a relationship with a great watchmaker, I would have him inspect my watches periodically to see if they needed service, most of the time he'd say "No." He would regulate my watches or our customer's watches for nothing as a courtesy if they purchased it from us. He's 62 years old and when he retires, I will send my watches to Rolex Service.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote