View Single Post
Old 24 December 2016, 10:21 AM   #60
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Yes, I received official letters in the first instance, from Rolex, advising me the watch was stolen.

An individual cannot be deprived of property if that property thought to be his/hers is stolen property. The individual has no claim to stolen property.

Asking how can they 'hold' something classified as stolen is a mute point. You cannot claim back stolen property if you were not the rightful owner in the first instance.

As a stolen Rolex can pop up anywhere in the world at any time at any RSC, different to the country where it was originally registered as stolen, then the RSC from the country where the police report was filed, have to instruct the police, local to where the watch is being held by Rolex, to collect it from them and have it sent back to the RSC where the watch is registered as stolen. This is what happens in reality. Adam is absolutely correct with this point in his post above.

If you wish to argue the point with police officers tasked with collecting a stolen watch such that it can be re-patriated to its legal owner....good luck!

Just to make the point again....the watch in this thread is NOT stolen property as it turns out. It was just flagged as such in error, but none the less, the whole process caused much aggravation I could have done without.

I would suggest to anyone reading this that if they buy a stolen watch that ends up being retained by an RSC, you're going to have a hard time getting it back as 'yours' regardless of what legal process you think you can follow.

Stolen means stolen.....you have no legal claim to it what-so-ever despite what you might think.

Rolex are simply doing their best to ensure stolen watches registered with them with official police reports etc to back up that claim, are re-patriated to rightful / legal owner, whether that be an individual or an insurance company that may have paid out for the watch if it was the subject of a claim.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote