View Single Post
Old 4 February 2017, 05:29 AM   #94
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
Since Im retired I hear it from my brother who has undergrad degree in Math and Is a Petroleum Eng is how dumb some these kids coming out of school with engineering degrees are.
The well he just got off of he was telling me some 27 year old end could not figure out how much drilling mud volume was needed given the well bore and depth plus surface casing....without a calculator. He said he could figure it out faster using a slide rule vs him pecking it out ....and got still got it wrong. His view is some kids are damn smart and some he wonders how the hell they passed any pre eng classes. He said you know how I am maybe my "sunny" disposition made him nervous....but I had to go behind him and recheck his calc....I cant get my ass run off the rig because BP should check who they hire more carefully.
This is a very true and important post.

The vast majority of engineers graduating today are "paycheck" engineers...

In that, they are students who are good enough in Math to pass the coursework, they realize that engineering is a higher paying career field so the pursue it...even though they couldn't care less about it.

In other words, old school engineers CARED about the work and knew how to figure stuff out without calcs or computers because they had the passion to learn the details and figure things out....these kids graduating today? Not so much. It's just a job that pays more now.....and they got it because they were lucky enough to have a math aptitude......just the way it is.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote