View Single Post
Old 9 March 2017, 10:23 AM   #36
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy music View Post
I'm fairly new to GMTs, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I've noticed that some of the experts here can tell whether a 1675/16750 insert is a red back or a blue back based only on the look of the front of the insert. Is that correct? If so, can someone explain the identifying differences between the two?

Also, I've tried to observe the points on the inserts where the blue changes to red. The crossover point is not always the same area for the 6s and 18s. That can be seen in the picture of all of the genuine inserts Springer posted above in his original post. Is that an important place to pay attention? Or just noise?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
The purpose of the thread was to help others identify the differences between the acrylic crystal inserts and the sapphire inserts along with some identification for aftermarket and bleached inserts.

Identifying every nuance of the numbers and differences between the GMT inserts would be the subject of a completely different topic and thread which I really didn't want to address in this thread. As far as the crossover point regarding where the red and blue colors split between the numbers 6 and 18 is not significant in my opinion and was probably based on when and where the inserts were placed in the stamping machines during the time periods they were stamped. I have observed this phenomenon and could never discern any significant difference in the number fonts regarding how this would reflect on where the color split occurred in relation to the era when the insert was used. In a "nutshell," I don't believe the location where the red and blue split occurs is significant to determining the age of the insert.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote