View Single Post
Old 20 April 2017, 04:42 AM   #21
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantAllen View Post
I was contacted and told that my 1966 GMT in the image (left image) is a transitional dial from the change over from gilt to white. the reason the type font is odd is because the dial was printed in white using a previous year gilt die (not sure of the year). this was also confirmed by data from various sources on 1966 GMTs on the internet. anyone with info on transitional dials please let me know. The bezel insert also looks correct but how can you really know if its replaced? Both Rolexes were never serviced and the 1969 (right image) being all original with the 1966 looking to have never been worn would lead me to believe the buyer used the 1969 often and let the 1966 stay safely away. with the date 1.4mil (1966) the dial, a period 1966 or earlier gilt die in such pristine condition one would assume (and I use that word assume with caution) would think the bezel insert is also original. The watch is near to mint with not even a scratch. I think it may have never been worn. I wish the box and papers were with it.
The Mark 0 white-lettered dial closely resembles the last gilt dial. (The last gilt dial variation would have been found on GMTs in the 1.4 million serial range.) The dial on your watch isn't close to the appearance of a Mark 0. My last comment here remains the same, the the dial found on the GMT on the left is what I refer to as a Mark V variation which I call mark 5(b). Additionally, I would suspect the watch originally came with the small 24-hour hand which your watch does not have.

If you like it, I like it - that's all that really matters.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote