View Single Post
Old 6 August 2017, 11:34 PM   #1
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

5712/1A - buy pre-owned or wait?

I never expected to be posting this as I've always considered myself to be a dress-watch person. In fact, over the past few months I've been looking for a PC and I always expected that to be my next purchase.

But after having spent too much time on TRF and seeing how much adulation is reserved for the 5711/5712, I saw that a local dealer got a 5712/1A in stock. So I went to see it yesterday (Sat) and was pleasantly surprised. This's the 1st time I've seen a SS nautilus in person (an AD has one in dual-tone). One reservation is that at 43mm, it's borderline too large for my wrist as I prefer sub-39mm. I didn't expect to like it but I did and it's growing on me. Call me a convert/believer.

IMG_2487.JPG

Anyway, having never purchased a pre-owned watch before, I've a couple of questions I'd like to ask:-
- the 4yo old watch (dated mid-2013) is priced (net) ~5% below MRP. Is this reasonable? Normally I'd think not, but given the demand for this piece I'm unsure
- the salesperson said that it is customary for pre-owned watches to have a light polish prior to sale. Is this correct? If this is so, it may be a potential sticking point. Given the choice, I wouldn't want to 'waste' at least 1/3 polishes on a 4y.o watch. Also from what I'd deduce, this watch has had >= 2 owners. So if aforementioned is true, that means it'd have been polished >= *2 times?

Finally
- given the discount to MRP, is the consensus to get this piece now or to wait/locate for a NIB from an AD? Or get a 5711 instead of a 5712?

There's another interested buyer but since I was the 'first' to express interest, I was given until Monday am to make a decision (< 48hrs) before it'd be offered to the other person. I'm in no hurry to get the watch and am happy to wait.
MrBenF is offline   Reply With Quote