View Single Post
Old 16 September 2017, 10:33 PM   #7
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

I have acquired 5 Rolex over the last 3 years and the honest truth is that I would like to finish off the collection with a Patek Philippe.

I am currently attracted to the 5396G purely on appearance and also I want to go down the annual / perpetual calendar route and this brings me to my main question. Also please bear in mind that my technical knowledge of PP is below average.

The question is - Are there any practical differences in owning either a perpetual or annual calendar watch. For instance is there much difference in setting up the time / date etc between the two and also are there different maintenance issues. Also any are there any pros and cons of owning either of these. Also is there any problems with buying the older models ?

Due to my lack of knowledge I will probably buy from an established retailer but any advice on this would be appreciated. I am, incidentally, based in the UK.

Regards

Mick
To answer your questions more specifically, and objectively...

The setting of an AC vs PC is not significantly different. Follow the directions carefully, use the winding box provided, and you'll be fine. Maintenance and service costs are available on the Patek website but shouldn't be a significant factor.

Practical difference between an AC and PC will consist of one date change a year. Considering both will need a time change twice a year anyway for DST, it's really a rather minor point in favor of the PC.

Older models with recent service history shouldn't be a problem. Remember though that it's not like getting a Rolex serviced. It may take 6 months or more to have your AC or PC back from service. Factor time and cost when buying preowned without a recent service. The movements are solid. The PC generally uses a terrific micro rotor system (240) that keeps the case nice and thin and doesn't obstruct your view of the movement. The AC will have a full rotor (partially blocking the view from behind), 315 or 324, depending on age. Some say the older movement was even the better of the two.

Hope this helps in your quest.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote