View Single Post
Old 10 November 2017, 10:40 PM   #804
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceShirt View Post
They just spent 8.5 million dollars on a new headquarters adorned with giant sized Marvel characters....but I digress....
I doubt this forum will hurt them going forward. More likely future success/failure will be determined by their major push into the preowned market. Which I think is a logical way to regain control over pricing from manufacturers who have been cutting margins, cracking down on discounting, restricting supply of popular references, yanking AD's and opening boutiques. It also gives them more control over inventory and allows them to present customers with more choice by including discontinued references and lower price points. We'll see how this affects their discounting practices at retail and their relationship with manufacturers. They also risk souring potential customers with lowball trade in offers.
From watching their youtube channel and using their app, I feel they have an overly commodified view of pre-owned watches.
This makes perfect sense. It's kind of playing dirty, but still on the level legally. Having leverage on both the New and Pre-Owned market is a brilliant idea. One might argue, it could make them indispensable to a manufacturer. I'm surprised more ADs haven't come up with this plan, I know Tourneau has a pre-owned division, but not as E-Commerce friendly as the one mentioned in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
My hunch is that they may need to build their relationship with PP and possibly favours of certain watches are going to be a bit more difficult in the future.
Agreed, but PP isn't their own golden goose.