View Single Post
Old 14 November 2017, 05:46 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Last week, we had PG&E inspect the original 60 year-old Carrier gas furnace that came with our house. Outside of replacing the thermo-couple unit (a $10.00 replacement part), the technician told us that this older model would outlive us all and that the newer models are good for about 15-20 years or so.

That doesn't say a whole lot about current design/manufacturing in the United States. While 'planned obsolescence' is one thing, 'built to last' seems to be a disappearing concept in America.
in general i think most manufactured goods are lower quality because they are cheaper. People generally don't want to pay for built to last IMO.

Perfect example is i travel a lot and have very expensive and high quality luggage. It will last forever. My mother buys cheap walmart luggage, doesnt travel a lot and has bought 4 suitcases in 7 years as they keep falling apart. The worst part is she will end up spending more on luggage than me in the long run because she didn't buy high quality to begin with.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote