View Single Post
Old 25 October 2008, 06:40 PM   #42
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
No watch company can reach the public perception that Rolex have achieved, it's impossible, if you asked most people in the streets to pick their idea of a luxury watch then more than half would say Rolex, if you made them pick between Patek, VC, AP, JLC and Rolex again i'd bet Rolex would end up in the number 1 position with most not knowing what Patek, Vacheron, Audemars or Jaeger were.

I think Panerai have put themselves into a place where they want to be, a limited number produced each year and using word of mouth and a few product placements to get their sales pitch across the WIS World.

As for quality, well at this price point all watches are quality, Rolex has a workmanlike appearance with the sports watches but everything about them are quality, the finish, the movement, the way it all goes together and then the rest of the Rolex collection again shows true quality with the finish and look. Panerai again have that quality finish, they rework the movement to get what they want and make sure the complete package is as good as they can make it.
Spoke to the Panerai AD.They were thinking about getting the Rolex agency.They had pro's and con's and asked my opinion....

Knowing all the Rolex ADs in the area and the Rolex market in their area well,from my Rolex days ... My opinion:

Getting Rolex to sell,means you will sell watches.
Selling Rolex doesnt give you exclusivity,because you have to compete,with +10 ADs,in the same city.
So what happens ? Its a cut throat business.All ADs "out discount" each other to a very low profit margin.So,you sell,but at low profit.
Also,by getting Rolex as a brand,to sell,you open yourself to theft/robbery.The stores thats "hit" as a rule are the Rolex ADs.Period.

Is it worth it ,considering they carry all the Richemont brands ? That was the question.They thought along the same lines as I did.

TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote