Thread: Goodbye AP ADs
View Single Post
Old 13 February 2018, 01:18 AM   #10
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

I have owned (not at once) 10 APs over the years. It truly is my favorite brand and I considered myself a real AP fan boy before the hype began a short time ago. I had a Safari before anyone really knew what an Offshore was. But I do agree with a lot of the consensus here where SIHH was a huge let down this year. Recycling models with new color schemes is not interesting to me personally, nor do I need the new color to show off on social media or in public. That is not why I purchase time pieces. Over the last few years I have thinned out the AP herd to 4 (15400 in steel and rose, diver in black, new navy/orange offshore with blue rubber) and I feel I have reached peak AP and have at least in my mind the 4 that work for me. My AD whom I have a very close personal relationship with, not just professional, has been able to get me and anyone who wants an AP basically anything over the years in extreme haste. Now he barely has anything in his case ever and has a hard time getting anything in the Royal Oak line. I am in agreement that although sales and revenues are up (which by the way I definitely tip my hat to Francois, he has done an impeccable job capitalizing on the trends of today, social media, etc) I do believe in the long run this boutique attitude of AP will not bode well in the long run. I understand the "wait list". I do. I also can appreciate the appeal of the 15202. There is no doubt that it is a WIS watch to the extreme. But to be a long time client of the brand and to hear that I can't get a stainless steel two or three hander in due time really is a major turn off. I hope it turns because I am sure at some point they will do something that I will want to get my hands on (here's looking at you RD#2) but let's face it, who will honestly ever be able to purchase this watch? Not only is it 18 months from even being a possible production model, but I have no doubt that it will be going to the likes of Pras Michel for his next episode of talking watches. It won't be going to the lay person who can truly appreciate the mechanical marvel that it is.

Sorry for the rant. I really hope I didn't offend anyone in anyway. But I did have to say it.
iceman1118 is offline   Reply With Quote