Thread: Navitimer 8 B01
View Single Post
Old 20 February 2018, 10:29 AM   #36
JacksonStone
Banned

I'm late to the party. I have mixed feelings about this line. On the positive side, I like that the brand is continuing with more refined looks and leaving its garish design period further in the past. Overall, it's a handsome line with plenty of options. I suspect that what seems bland in pics and digital renderings might look better in person.

On the negative side, I'm bothered that Breitling can't seem to make up its mind whether it wants to compete with Rolex or TAG Heuer: the three-hand models are ETA-based (except the Unitime), and the decision to put out both a 01 and 7750 based version of the chronograph is downright bizarre. Restricting the bracelet option to the lower-end Pro 3 is another problem, and might just be a deal-breaker for me. It's hard to go back to a pin-and-hole clasp after being spoiled by the Glidelock and Omega's latest diver clasp. I might expect it on ETA-based offerings, but on an in-house model with retail at $8k, I expect more.

I'll reserve judgment until I have a chance to see the models in person, but there are too many aspects of this line that prevent me from having unreserved enthusiasm, both for the line itself, and what it portends for the brand as a whole.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote