View Single Post
Old 1 March 2018, 06:00 AM   #32
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Don't know who they are...now that I looked them up...I want the Nautilus far less.
Why do you care about who else is wearing a watch you like? How does it take away from your enjoyment or appreciation for the piece? I'm genuinely interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronomentro View Post
Great post DeeTee! Totally agree with your thesis. Remember Gents, Future/Migos didnt make the Nautilus desirable for you specifically. Some of you have been collecting and on these boards when these rappers were in primary school. These celebs are pushing 2nd hand 5711 prices from 10k above retail to 20k above retail. Why are these rappers picking up Patek and not AP anymore? well of course novelty, publicity after the NY exhibition, low interest rates, good stock market etc. We are all influenced by taste makers. Most people on this forums have huge respect for John Mayer who is clearly the Heir Apparent to Eric Clapton in the watch game. Of course on the other side of the world, there are plenty of people with disposable money who want to be like Future/Migos and the watch is more approachable than the Lambo, Bentley truck etc. Im from ATL and can honestly say these guys are garbage compared to Outkast but hey, to each his own I suppose
You've nailed it. Yeah, people on these boards didn't like the Nautilus necessarily because of pop culture, but we're a small portion of the entire watch market. Lots of people out there with oodles of money who are spending it mimicking stars and celebrities, all thanks to social media and the ease of showing off these days. It is frankly, quite naïve and snobbish to think that people who follow pop culture and listen to artists like Future and Migos don't have the means to buy these watches and aren't doing so.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote