View Single Post
Old 14 March 2018, 11:12 PM   #93
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Having looked at the two up close—and before I was a Rolex owner—I don’t think I can say so. I mean, sure, the dial and hands are very pretty on GS, but it’s not like Rolex is any less flawless in that department. I’ve looked at my Submariner through a macro lens and it’s shocking to me how I can’t find any imperfections.

If you ask me, and technically you did, I think the fact that GS bracelets never seem to fit properly to the case—Tudor does it better, let alone Rolex—takes it out of contention for me. There was that video making the rounds where that British guy compares a GS to a Rolex GMTII and it’s plain as day that the bracelet just doesn’t fit to the case very well. My 40 year old, folded link Speedmaster 1171 bracelet fits about the same. That’s a major problem for me.

So while GS may execute some details in a finer fashion (like the dial finishing), I can’t say overall that they’re better finished than Rolex. At least not the ones I’ve seen. Don’t get me wrong—GS makes excellent watches. They’re not to my taste aesthetically, but that’s neither here nor there. I think there’s a bit of David and Goliath here, where people feel the need to wax poetically about GS because it’s the underdog compared to Rolex and that’s sort of caught on.