Thread: Career troubles
View Single Post
Old 12 August 2005, 08:39 AM   #1
----

Career troubles

So, been having a bit of a rough time at work lately. First, some background:

I've been at the same place for 19 years as of June of 2005. I have basically done the same or very similar work all that time (manufacturing/process engineering). My job is to install new equipment in the plant for various reasons - improving productivity, safety or quality, etc. I've buikt additions to the plant, put in multi-million dollar production lines - the works. I really like the projects that I get to do.

I am the senior mechanical engineer in a department of 9 engineers in total at this time (4 electrical, 4 mechanical, and one systems guy). I have worked for the same person for 17 of the 19 years I have been there, and during that time he has made certain promises to me. We have always had a manager, and a supervisor of engineering. He was the supervisor up until about 3 years ago, when the long-time manager finally retired. It was assumed by everyone, including me, that my supervisor would move up to the manager's postion, and I would be named the supervisor. It didn't happen that way - he moved up, I didn't.

At the time, I asked why, and was told that I had too much on my plate, and could be removed from project work. My manager had stated for 2.5 years that he could not fill both rolls, so I took on extra duties that would be the supervisor's if we had one, but for no additional recognition or pay. This was all with the idea that I would eventually roll into that position. Along the way, the next most senior mechanical guy quit. Then another mechanical guy quit who had been there only 5 years, so we hired 2 newbies right out of school to fill their spots. Now for sure I could not be the supervisor (I was told), as I was the only mechanical guy there with any experience at all.

But then, the guy that quit who had been there 16 years, came back (his new position at this other company did not work out). So that is where we are right now.

I recently approached my manager about my desire that "something" has to happen soon, because I will not wait forever. Just so you know, we have a system like many companies, where there is a technical ladder, and a management ladder. On the technical ladder, where I am now, I have been the equivalent of the supervisor position for 9 years now. I expressed my desire to move up the technical ladder to the next position (equivalent to a manager) or get the supervisor's position soon, or I would have to start looking somewhere else. My boss did not take that well (as I expected) and I told him that I really needed to hear from him that we were on track to something other than the present situation.

He then told me that he was not sure what structure he wants the department to take over time. I was floored. This is the first time ever that when we spoke about this move, he said HE was thinking of something different. In the past, he's always put me off by saying that he was fighting battles to get more people, or get some other person a promotion, so it was not a good time to push my position change to upper management. Or, we were in a slow period and the company was suffering, so it "wasn't the right time" to ask.

So, I'm now thinking that I've been on a wild goose chase for years, and I'm not very happy about it. I actually love the work I do, but feel that I've been used by the company, or at least by my manager. I have a feeling that the mechanical engineer that left and came back, may be someone they have plans for (he left because he felt there was no future for him there, so why did he come back?) I am not sure what to do next, but mid-year performance reviews are coming up soon. I wonder what tactic I should take in the review regarding this issue. Do I tell him that I'll dop all the "extra" things I'm doing? If I do, I'll be branded as a troublemaker for sure.

I think everyone has times when they hate their jobs, and don't want to go there. The problem for me is, those times are more frequent, and last longer as time goes by. Anyway, I needed to rant about this to get it off my chest more than anything, but I certainly welcome your opinions. Of course I could always leave, but I see that as a last resort, and I would rather get what I've been promised.......