Thread: My first Rolex!
View Single Post
Old 24 April 2018, 04:34 AM   #19
Navarino
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakual View Post
Hello all,

To cut a long story short I set a goal to have a Rolex by age 30 and fortunately I turned 27 this month and I am in a very lucky position to be able to buy my first luxury watch.

I am drawn to the sports models; Sub No-date and GMT2 Batman in particular.

My budget is c.£8k although at a push I could increase it with some persuasion (need to keep the girlfriend happy!).

Do any of you wise people have any advice or memories of your first purchase?

What do you consider to be a great first piece to start off a collection?

Regards
Zak
If it's between these two, I certainly wouldn't have price be the determining factor of your decision. You'll see this advice a lot of this site: pick the watch that sings to you the most. There are varying positives and negatives to each of these watches. The BLNR is a beautiful watch but the Sub has it's own cult following, especially in this community. If you're open to the GMT, I think you should also consider the Sub date as well. Functionally speaking, it's pretty tough to compare the GMT to the Sub no-date.

The SS Sub and SS GMT are both excellent choices for a first Rolex. Both these watches are very versatile and can easily be dressed up and down. One thing to consider with the BLNR is the PCLs (polished center-links) and blue bezel. While to many of us it makes the watch absolutely beautiful, others find it a bit too "flashy" for every day wear. Just something to consider. Personally, if it was my first Rolex I'd take the BLNR over any SS sub (including the LVc).
Navarino is offline   Reply With Quote