View Single Post
Old 15 November 2008, 03:27 PM   #119
MAC4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
Six years ago I met Panerai's CEO Angelo Bonati at the re-opening of the brand's original boutique in Florence. Panerai was just on the rise back then, fast gaining popularity. I asked him where he'd like to see his brand positioned, and he said "right up at the top, along with Rolex''.

I'm wondering how many people think he's achieved his goal? Is Panerai in the same league as Rolex? How would one define "league''?

(Personally, I don't really fancy Panerai watches but there's no denying the brand has enjoyed phenomenal success in the past 5-6 years and is hugely popular).
Panerai is a great Brand that has boomed with non paid celebrities as sponsors! They look and feel great they are indeed very limited quantities out there but.... yes but.... Rolex is on a league of its own! Their facilities are just years ahead of ANY swiss watch manufacture, their movements are simple refined, sturdy, reliable and Extremely acurate!!!! Something all other companies strugle with. Panerai would love to be up there with Rolex but so would a lot of the other top watch manufacturers. Rolex is often criticized by purists because of the masive ammount of watches Rolex makes in a year (over a million, that is more than all other top siwiss manufacturers together) but one thing they over see is that Rolex makes all those watches to the exact same level of superb finish, reliability and accuracy! That is no small feat! If Vacheron, Patek, Piaget had the oppcortunity to manufature in the way Rolex does would they do it?!?!?! yes they would! This would allow them to build more of their splendid watches at a better cost with the same quality! But the investment required would be astronomic!!!! and their brand would probably loose exclusivness, but test those superexclusive watches vs a Rolex and you will find Rolex rate results (accuracy, finish, reliability, etc) as good or better than any of them.
Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black, Rolex Daytona 116500LN White, Rolex TT GMTIIC, Panerai 88, Cartier Santos TT Auto, Omega Seamaster GMT Bond Co-axial, Omega Constellation SS Auto, Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Tachy Auto
MAC4130 is offline   Reply With Quote