View Single Post
Old 26 May 2018, 01:00 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
When I imagine myself becoming a Patek owner, I foresee myself possessing the following horrifying thoughts.

- "The weight to cost ratio is the lowest of any watch I have ever purchased."
- "Wow, this watch is much lower in magnitude in both size and and heft than Rolex."
- "I now have a piece that is much more difficult to sell in the secondary market than a Rolex sports model."
- "Nobody aside from fellow WISes has ever heard of this brand, let alone can quickly recognize it."
- "For the same $, I can purchase 2x ceramic SS Daytona."
- "I can purchase another watch with the money it would cost me to service this piece."

Current Patek owners, how did you rationalize these concerns when you took the plunge?
Easy... "Nobody aside from fellow WISes has ever heard of this brand, let alone can quickly recognize it." trumps everything else. Im past the everyone has got to notice my watch phase. I much prefer they don't and if they do know then they are generally the kind of person i am OK with knowing.

At the end of the day you buy a Patek for you. A lot of times people buy other brands as much as for other people as they do for themselves. Even a nautilus isnt going to turn any heads on the street. Im reminded of that every time i go back home. Its the Rolex everyone notices, so generally its the watch i don't wear if im trying to avoid an awkward conversation since im basically from the middle of nowhere.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote