View Single Post
Old 1 June 2018, 07:21 AM   #134
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I'm sure it's not for everyone. One thing I will absolutely vouch for is I was deciding between the diamond baguette version of the Platona and the regular one and the regular Platona won by a mile for me when comparing them side by side. I am not a diamond guy @ all. I wasn't totally convinced from pictures (although gorgeous from Steve/nyc2la) but when I saw the watch in person....it was clearly a non-issue for me. My wife also concurred she couldn't even tell it had diamonds as markers until I pointed it out. It fits very well and is extremely subtle.

Very beautiful! Wear in good health!

Unfortunately as much as I wish for a romantic story like some with their watch acquisitions.....it just wasn't that dramatic hah. Basically I've been eyeing the watch for months and asking around (especially talking with nyc2la) for information/living vicariously......during which what sealed the deal was the video comparison between a Speedmaster and the 5170 from Patek.....it astounded me what detail they went through to achieve this movement in house and to be able to reduce the thinness to something so sleek/wearable was the deciding factor for me over the datograph (which I was also heavily drawn to comparing chronographs on this level). It was funny because this is right after I swore up and down I didn't need such a fancy chronograph coming from more sporty choices like the Speedmaster and Daytonas.

After the decision was made.....one fateful day I saw an instagram from one of my buddies that's a grey seller and I immediately messaged him and made a deal. Rest was just timing of payment and making things happen....and now I am just all smiles ear and ear entering the Patek arena. Won't be the last unfortunately for my wallet. Glad to be part of the family!
Re - platinum Daytonas. The diamond version is beautiful. The only issue for me is that the subrings are "tone on tone" so they are really subtle. I like a chrono to look like a chrono.

Re - subtle baguettes in 5170P. It's funny: we get platinum that "flies under the radar" because it looks from a distance like stainless. We get diamonds only if you hardly notice they are there.