View Single Post
Old 3 June 2018, 02:16 AM   #56
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Congrats Tom. Very nice. I hope u don’t miss the 5164 too much going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Kevin! I still love the 5164 and it was an extremely tough decision to let it go. I've had to exercise some strict self discipline as of late - 4 pieces and no more. It's forced me to make some very tough choices indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Looks amazing, congrats!! Also love the travel case you got with it!
Thanks! The travel case is fantastic - it's made by Phase de Lune (I recently got their 3 watch roll) and their stuff is top shelf. All the better with the PP branding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Major congrats, 5990 is an awesome watch. Today I was talking to one of the ADs I deal with and he said demand for 5990 has increased significantly over the past few months. It must be due to the awesome photos posted by Tyler and Jorge
Thanks! I don't doubt the power of social media on increasing the popularity of these pieces. The 5164 and 5990s were sleepers a year or two ago, and they're now on fire! I also think it has to be that they are now relatively much better buys than they used to be - the price gap between 5167/5164 and 5711 or 5712 vs the 5990 has narrowed such that the 5164 and 5990 have become better value for money than their time-only counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma54 View Post
Wow congrats again Tom. Still regretting not jumping on your 5164.
Thanks! It wasn't meant to be... but I'm sure there'll be other opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
btw, u were offloading many other pieces lately, in addition to the 5164...assuming to fund this beauty.
what's the state of the collection now?

----

oops, nevermind...i see it in ur signature!
I've just been doing general housecleaning... too many pieces I had been hoarding and wearing seldomly. I like a smaller, more focused collection that I will wear and enjoy more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Fabulous stuff, Tom! I love the 64 as you know and shame to let it go but this is a fine replacement, enjoy it!
Thanks Neil! As I've said above, it was a very tough decision, but it was hard to go wrong at any rate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Congrats Tom! 5990 is a very nice upgrade from the 5164.
Thanks! May I suggest this as your next move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyhand View Post
Congratulations! This is a very nice watch. I know, as a Nautiman.
Yes, must also thank Tyler for his enabling because I too was influenced through his postings.
By the way, don't your AD size for you when you're collecting the watch?

Thanks! Tyler and Jorge played a huge role in enabling, I also spoke with them in private and was pushed over the edge by their remarks on the piece. As for sizing - it was shipped from the AD to me (i.e. I didn't get it from a local AD), so it was unsized when I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Well well well Tom, you never stand still do you?

That’s a stunner, and I’m very happy for you my friend

Honestly I thought your 64 was the perfect watch for you, but this one is (well ok) it’s just a whole other level

Congratulations and enjoy it
Thanks Brian! It was about seizing an opportunity that came up - and having this piece in my hand was really beyond my wildest dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islatate View Post
Tom, hearty congrats to you on such an awesome PP. The gradient grey dial on the 5990 looks incredible in person, which I was lucky enough to try on this afternoon. I may have been more giddy than you when I had your 5990 on my wrist today.

Enjoy it to the fullest Tom!
Thanks Ken! I could tell you were smitten by the look on your face - there was no hiding that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Congrats Tom! Jorge has really made me come around on this piece. The pics are stunning. Wear her in good health and looking forward to your next incoming.
Thanks Mike! I have a sense I will be slowing down... but who knows when the next surprise will come out of left field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
Congrats! I am sure that beast wuz worth the wait.

How does it wear compared to the Jumbo?
Thanks! I was lucky in that the wait time was almost non-existent... just some shipping delays.

In terms of how it wears to the Jumbo, it definitely wears with more presence given the thicker case, but it wraps around my wrist better than the Jumbo. On the Jumbo, the bracelet is very stiff and flares out at the lugs on my small wrist, whereas on the 5900, it drapes down more at the lugs and there's no flaring out that I see on the Jumbo.

It wears a lot more comfortable - the interior edges are nice and smooth, while I find the inside edges of the Jumbo bracelet can be sharp and irritate my skin at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
That's the chronograph's second hand, it will always be at 12 o'clock until the wearer presses the start pusher
I think you meant that it is the chronograph's minute hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Really nice. Curious. What is your wrist size? So I can have context of how it might look on me.
Thanks! According to my measurements this morning, my wrist has shrunk to about 6.3" (I lost 10 lbs in the last few weeks for a variety of reasons).
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote