View Single Post
Old 14 June 2018, 03:03 AM   #96
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
The problem with rating Pele is that none of us have really seen anything of his play beyond a few seconds of old video footage. The problem with judging him on his record is he scored a large number of his goals in low quality league football.

To use an Americanism I’m going to throw a curveball. Scratch that, I’ll use an English equivalent - I’m going to bowl you a Googly.

The best player I’ve seen with my own eyes is Ronaldo. Not the Portuguese poser Cristiano (and don’t get me wrong, he’s an all time great) but Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima - Brazilian Ronaldo. He was at his peak in the years prior to the ‘98 World Cup and he had absolutely everything in his armoury - he was quick, powerful, could dribble through teams, was great on the ball and had laser accuracy in front of goal. His overall record is great despite his many injuries but they robbed him of the best years of his career. Had he gone injury free throughout his time I think he’d be regarded as the undisputed best of all time. That is of course, speculation, but he was a sensational player at his best. C. Ronaldo and Messi have consistency and longevity over him, but not talent IMO.

Oh and Maradona >>>>>>> Pele ;)
I'd agree with that Ronaldo, when he was younger he looked like a world beater, but then that notorious 98 final, when he was France's best player, lol, and then injuries meant he didn't live up to his potential which was considerable. Dribbling at speed is still probably the greatest skill.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote