View Single Post
Old 24 June 2018, 09:05 AM   #16
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexWombat View Post
I bought the watch from an individual and it’s quite possible (even likely) that the watch did spend most of its life (couple of years or more) static in a vault before I bought it, could that cause the barrel grease to “go bad”? Could also be the problem was there from the start and they never noticed because you needed to wear the watch assiduously every day all day long for it to happen (and they probably were not as anal as I am about the accuracy:)).

Please forget my very limited and amateur knowledge but what would happen exactly if the lubrication of the barrel becomes insufficient? If the main spring gets “overwound” and gives more force than it is supposed to to the balance wheel through the escapement does it means the impulse is too strong and the amplitude gets too large? If the amplitude is larger than it should then wouldn’t that make the watch slower?
It is a more likely scenario that the individual you bought the watch from had it serviced and it wasn't lubricated correctly. But with watches anything is possible.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote